It’s baaaccckkkk! A new bill to repeal the American Care Act, and in turn cut Medicaid.
Remember the endless summer? When we all tirelessly advocated to kill the bill, and it worked. A new, worst bill is gaining traction in the Senate. Look at the graphic below to see what it would do:
It seems Republican Senators are hell-bent on keeping their campaign promise, but in doing so they’re also threatening to restructure and CUT Medicaid.
Why should you care about this bill? Because it will have a negative impact on people with disabilities. People with Down syndrome often use Medicaid throughout their life, even if their parent doesn’t meet the financial threshold for consideration. That’s because most school districts use Medicaid dollars for speech, OT, PT, bus and other services. Medicaid dollars are used in transitional services when our loved ones become adults. That means they can qualify for a job coach, transportation, and housing supports all because of Medicaid.
See Related Post Here: Why Medicaid Cuts Would Devastate the Down Syndrome Community
Here’s how this specific bill will impact the disability community:
- Puts per capita caps on Medicaid, leading to devastating cuts in funding
- Eliminates the Medicaid expansion and marketplace subsidies and replaces with an inadequate block grant
- Allows states to waive protections for people with pre-existing conditions
- Allows states to waive the requirement to provide essential health benefits (like mental health and substance use services, rehabilitative and habilitative services, and maternity care)
- Penalizes states that have invested in their Medicaid system
You can read the actual bill here.
See Related Post Here: We Meet With Ohio Senator Portman’s Office in Last Ditch Effort to Save Medicaid
We’ve been here before, you know the drill! Your marching orders are as follows:
CALL (202) 224-3121
Your U.S. Senator and tell them how important Medicaid is to you and your family. Ask them to oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill or any other bill that would cut or cap Medicaid. Use the follow hashtags: #SaveMedicaid #NoCutsNoCaps
We killed the bill once. We can do it again! But it’s going to take a village!